lunes, 11 de diciembre de 2017

EXPRESSING PURPOSE


Linkers of purpose and reason

We can use the following linkers to talk about the purpose of an action:
  • To/in order (not) to/so as (not) to + infinitive.
I hired a car to tour the island.
I started the website in order to save money.
He went to Alaska so as to experience something new.
He left early in order not to miss his flight home.
  • So/so that + clause. We often omit the word that in informal or spoken English. We often use these linkers with can/can't/could/will/won't/wouldn't.
I'd love to go to Alaska so I can have a white Christmas!
He took a notebook so that he could write about his holiday.


We can use the following linkers to talk about the reason for an action or event:
  • As/because/since + clause.
As the flight was cancelled, we stayed an extra night.
James started the website because he wanted to travel.
Since the weather was bad, we spent the day at the hotel.
  • Because of + noun/noun phrase.
He couldn't go jet-skiing because of the bad weather.

TAKEN FROM http://laurazrenglish.blogspot.mx/2011/02/linkers-of-purpose-and-reason.html

Purpose with toin order to and so as to

Use to , so as to, and in order to to express purpose in the affirmative form.
Examples:
  • He is looking for a part time job to save some pocket money.
  • She wakes up early in order to be on time to work.
  • They visited him so as to offer their condolences for the death of his wife.
Use so as not to and in order not to to express purpose in the negative form.
Examples:
  • They woke up early in order not to be late.
  • She exercises regularly so as not to get fat.
  • He helped the new policewoman so as not to fail in her first mission.

Purpose with so that

You can also express purpose with so that. In this case you generally need to use a modal.
Examples:
  • He turned down the music so that he wouldn't disturb the neighbors.
  • He got a visa so that he can travel to the USA.
  • He decided to stay in England for a while so that he could practice his English.

Purpose with for

Purpose can be also expressed by using forFor may be followed by either a noun or a verb + ing.
Examples:
  • I stopped there for a chat.
  • This mop is for cleaning the floor.


Choose the correct expression of purpose.

  1. Concentrate on your exercise  make any mistakes.
  2. You have to wake up  be on time.
  3. You have to register  participate in the forum.
  4. She left work early  be at home when he arrives.
  5. Ships carry life boats  the crew can escape when the ship sinks.
  6. I will go to university  continue my studies.
  7. He exercises regularly  be overweight.
  8.  you can produce a good essay, you need to edit your writing before you hand it in.
  9. She works hard  she can earn a living.
  10. These men risk their lives  we may live more safely.





1) He opened the window.He wanted to let  fresh air in.(in order to)
He opened the window.
2)I took my camera.I wanted to take some photos.(so that)

I took my camera .
3)He studied really hard.He wanted to get better marks.(in order to)
 He studied really hard.
4)Jason learns Chinese.His aim is  to work  in China.( to)
 Jason learns Chinese.
5)I’ve collected money.I will buy a new car.(so that)
 I’ve collected money.
6)Many people left Turkey in 1960s.They wanted to find jobs in Germany.( in order to)
 Many people left Turkey in 1960s.
7)She attends to a course.She wants to  learn chess.(to)
 She attends to a course.
8)Linda turned on the lights.She wanted to see better.(so that)
 Linda turned on the lights.
9)I will come with you.I want to help you.(in order to)
 I will come with you.
10)We are going to cinema.We will watch a horror film.(to)
 We are going to cinema.
11)You must take your umbrella so that you won’t get wet.(in order)
 You must take your umbrella 
12)He waited at the counter.He wanted to see her.(in order)
He waited at the counter.
13)We all put on our coats.We were feeling cold.(so that)
We all put on our coats keep warm.

     


. I'm studying very hard at the moment  pass my exams next month.
2. I bought a dictionary  help with my vocabulary.
3. I went to bed early  I wouldn't be tired in the morning.
4. I have to get up early. I set the alarm for five o'clock  oversleep.
5. I waited for an hour  I could meet her.
6. Some people do not eat before exercises  feel nauseated.
7. Do exercise regularly  have excellent health and well-being.
8. My sister gave English lessons  earn some pin money.
9. Jenny is a very nice person. She is always prompt  help her friends.
10. They took the taxi  waste time.
11. I'm going to Australia  forget my English.
12. Make sure your bags are tagged  you can identify them later.




No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario